Principal’s Message Second Street School, a one-room clapboard building, opened its doors in 1913. In 1928, this original building was raised, had a basement added and was moved to the south-west corner of the lot where at this time it was used to store fire-fighting equipment for the community. In 1952 the building was moved to Robert Burnaby Park where it was used to hose machinery. During 1928, a brick building was constructed on the same site and it became the “new school”. In 1944, the first addition on the 16th Avenue side of the building was built and in 1956 the addition on the 17th Avenue side was completed. In 1999, a third addition was created extending toward 2nd Street, creating the current school as it stands today. The original school mission statement still stands true: ‘This school is a place where anyone may pursue life-long learning in a warm and caring environment’. There are very strong ties to the school within our community. Many of our parents, and a few of our grandparents, attended 2nd Street as children. Annual community and cultural events enable us to celebrate together and are highlights of each school year: Community Barbeques, Hallowe’en Fireworks, Guru Nanak’s Birthday, Diwali, Breakfast with Santa, Chinese New Year, Multicultural Dinners, Orange Shirt Day, Pink Shirt Day, International Day of Pink and Sports Day. Each year we are proud to host a Pioneer Tea for seniors in our community; many alumni return, some having attended our school in the late 1930s. In 2013 we celebrated two significant milestones: 100 years as an Elementary School and 30 years as a Community School. Being a Community School distinguishes 2nd Street within our School District and is an aspect of our school culture that our staff and students are extremely proud of. This relationship of ‘connectedness’ lies at the very heart and success of our school.